The Fam

The Fam

Petersons Are Grrrrrrrrrreat!

Petersons Are Grrrrrrrrrreat!

Sweetest

Sweetest

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hospital Stay :(

Well today was a challenging day to say the least. I dropped kaysen off at school at 9am and he was perfectly fine. He had been running around with the dog in the morning. He didn't eat much that is normal. Well I got a call at 10am that Kaysen was sick and had already thrown up twice. So I figured it was just a normal episode of cyclic vomitting. I went to get him and found him completley pale hugging the mini toliet at day care vomitting into it. I gave him a zophran which usually stops his attacks.
For the next two hours he was completley pale. I could not get him to respond to me either. He wouldn't wake up and he was completley limp. The only time he would move is when he would throw up every 15 minutes. So I knew this wasn't a "normal" episode so I decided to take him to the dr. Unfortuantley I couldn't get him into his normal dr. so I took him to urgent care.
When I got there it was bad!!!!!! I had to carry him and couldn't get him to even sit up on his own. By the time the dr. saw him, his eyes were rolled back in his head and his mouth was open. He was completley flushed and unresponsive. The dr. decided that he needed to be taken to the hospital by ambulance and then admitted. They started an iv at the urgent care and luckily when they poked him he responded and cried some.
After the iv he started to look a lot better. The ambulance took him to the hospital and the dr. at the hospital came to us right away. They did all sorts of blood tests and switched some different fluid into his iv and gave him more zophran through iv. Luckily he stopped vomitting. After being on iv for several hours they did another dehyradtion test. He wasn't where they wanted him to be but since he was no longer throwing up things were looking better. They were fifty fifty if he should be stay over night. I wanted to wait longer and let him eat some crackers and drink something to see if he could keep it down and see how he improved. He still was super weak and sleepy. So that was our compromise. After another two hours he kept down 3 crackers and some sprite (heavy eater I know).
So after two hours I felt he was well enough that I could take care of him at home. So we left in the evening after a extremley long day. He fell asleep the whole car ride home. Since he didn't eat all day and was throwing up and all I had all day was a donut I sent john to get kfc. He was excited to eat and I made him a plate. He stood up to eat and grabbed his head and collapsed crying his head hurt and he no longer wanted to eat anything. We finally managed to get him to eat a popsicle laying down. After that he decided he was tired and ready for bed. We gave him another zophran and his regular medicine and put him to bed.
So they wanted to do a CT while we were at the hospital but I oppted out. The dr.s at the hospital were in contact with kaysens pediatric neurologist and he wants to see him asap and most likely he'll be getting a MRI soon so I decided why put him through more than he needs.
Well thats where we are at right now. He is sleeping and seemed a million times better than this morning but is still really sick. Lucikly hes keeping liquids down and that is huge.
So I'll let you all know how he is tomorrow and how the neurologist goes. What a day! I'm ready for bed!

7 comments:

Gardners said...

I am so sorry. What a scary day for you all. Hang in there, we are thinking of you guys.

tracyp said...

Oh Lara! I'm so sorry! We'll keep Kaysen in our prayers. I hope he's able to keep every thing down tonight and that everyone gets a bit of rest. Good luck at the md office and please call me if their is anything I can do!

Kristi said...

Oh my goodness Girl!! Talk about stress... I would be a mess... What a good mom you are!!! Im very impressed!!!

Hillary said...

I'm so sorry your little guy isn't doing well! I will keep your family in my prayers!!

Jennifer said...

Poor Kaysen, I hope he feels better soon. Lara if you need anything give me a call!

us in a nut shell said...

oh Lara I was in tears reading this. how scary!! I hope that the doctors appointments go well. Please let me know if I can do anything!!

Dave and Marie said...

bla!!! Lara I'm sorry for Kaysen and Ya'll!!I wish there was something I could do for you guys.